Friday, March 9, 2012

American Idol Top 13


I’ve stopped doing this for a long while now. Because I’ve lost my inspiration somewhat along the way, but I guess it is predictable that American Idol would have this started again.

I intend to stay off through the season before this. But when I saw the top 13 performed last night. It’s kinda inspiring.

Without watching any episodes, I know. Colton is the front runner from the start. But without a doubt either, he is the most bankable of all the contestant yet he still got a lot of potential on his voice because he is still molding it.

Phillip Phillips is my second choice for the guys. Because of his uniqueness. I haven’t seen a Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen on the show before. And Phillip have them both in his pocket. I just hope that the Idol actually don’t change him too much. Yet he still has to fix a position on how his voice could fit. But I hope it’s not the Idol mold but his on potential.

A small note. I was not surprise that Reed Grimm is gone but I was sad though. Because he is a character with a voice and a talent. Maybe it’s too random for AI but he is definitely with something there.

Joshua Ledet fits into the norm of AI as the Gospel soul, Jeremy Rosado is the cool bear, and Jermaine is the low ground. While Jermaine is good at what he sings, but his voice can be a bit dull at times. HeeJun however is a surprise. Not that he is not a good singer, only that American haven’t really heard much of a good Asian singer before. He is what a Typical most Asian Singer are like. A Typical Asian Look with a good voice. While I’m proud that he is in the top 11 but I do think that he would not last too long if he stay the course he is which the Asian singer usually does.

Deandre is unique. But he could be too unique either. Because there’s a play in the game and the unique card can be a low blow rather than a good thing.

As for the girls, It’s a huge competition. Because last night they show off everything. Erika Van Pelt did great with a perfect fit with her voice on Whitney, Hollie too have fit Whitney in her show. Skylar did a Reba on Whitney. And who can forget Jessica. But Jessica rendition of the most difficult-to-pull-off song of the Whitney play book is perfect, but I fear that it was too perfect. While we are in the nostalgia of the late singer original, Jessica is still lacking Individuality in her fit. Maybe after another couple of weeks she’ll shine as the girl who can sing about everything perfectly. And that can be her trick.

As for Elise, whether it’s the song choice, the lack of time, I can only says, this is a huge break she got, the second chance. She has to bring it next week. And redeem herself. As for Shannon, she is not in a good place after last night performance. The song almost exposes all her flaws, and I’ve seen lack of potential all over the place. She too have to do much much better to get herself ON again.

For the guys, the game is right on, they are in the popularity game. Because they have shown all the potential but they haven’t have shown all of it. And because this year it’s obvious that the popularity vote have gone on even before the top 13 begins. As for the girls, most of the best singers are there. So it’s a game of talent. While with all the great voice, it can be a bit boring at times. So the girls game is creating variety, and create interest on them.

I am sad that Jeremy have to go because I think he got a good voice and he is not supposed to go. I’m sure and Elise would get a big slash back from the whole drama. But it is a choice of whether you burn the one who show potential but show not enough or the one that made a bad choice and haven’t show her potential yet. I just hope that they make the right choice and Elise would really step up and do a good job next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment