Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sammi Cheng Concert, A HK Pop Diva. A Return, and a mesmerizing performance



I went to this concert on Saturday with a friend. (Thanks to her free tic.)

Sammi Cheng, a Hong Kong Pop Diva who’s been resting for a while and now came out with a somewhat comeback show.

I was never a real fan of Sammi Cheng. I’ve heard her songs and saw her perform on shows or TV. Never bought any of her CDs though.

Well the point is that, I have no pre-notion of what I should expect from the show as I was planning on just have some good fun time with my friend. So we went.

While I was watching the show, I was…. Somewhat struck by the fact it is actually a great show. Sammi has been on the scene for more than 2 decade and I am seeing this lady looking perfectly nice on stage dancing her ass off.

All the classics she’d sang and all the awards. Suddenly I realize that a decade before Lady Gaga walk the tour, Hong Kong already has plenty of pop diva that produce shows that’s coming out with outrageous outfits, dance like dynamite, and sang really well. The only thing different is that they are in mandarin and Cantonese. Well, that said as I was watching the show. I find that, Hong Kong Pop Diva, with all the malicious tabloid, they really have been overshadowed on their talent. Here I’m looking at a lady into her 40’s dancing as good as Lady Gaga and as natural and stylish and charming in her own way on stage.

I also thought quite right, Hong Kong been on the heel on Japan for a long time in the entertainment progress. We have pretty much well, past Western pop culture evolution a hundred times. For the reason of less resistance to change and a pretty structured growth, the only thing missing is just like Japan Currency, the money never got too much bigger. Suddenly seeing American entertainment is a bit behind which also brought into perspective that it still have a lot more spaces to grow.

Thinking back, I didn’t remember anyone as diva-ish as Sammi though after her generation of Diva.

Anita Mui, Faye Wang, all are either the same era as hers or before.

The new generation diva, though have the market on their hands, but they never truly felt as naturally charming or stylishly comfortable on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment